Political Economy Ideas and Links
Major ZNet Resources / General Economic Research
Corporate Accountability / Global Trade Issues
Periodicals / U.S. Government / Recent ZNet Articles
Various Z Articles / Recent Debates
Selected ZNet Essays On Economics In Spanish
Participatory Economics is an economic vision for modeern economies. The authors of this vision are Michael Albert and Robin Hahnel. The underlying values are:
Recent ZNet Economic Debates
Albert: Is Socialism Still on the Agenda
Horowitz/Albert Exchange, eight files...
Some Recent ZNet Articles on Economics
Some Major ZNet Resources
Global Economic Crisis Instructional
Based on an extended multi-part Z series by Robin Hahnel
Economic Vision Instructional
Based on a ZMI Course by MIchael Albert
Basic Concepts and Tools for
Understanding Political Economy
Based on a ZMI course by Michael Albert
A Q&A on the WTO, IMF,
World Bank, and Activism
Prepared by Michael Albert
Culled from work by Albert, Elaine Bernard, Peter Bohmer,
Jeremy Brecher, Dorothy Guellec, Robin Hahnel,
Russell Mokhiber, Mark Weisbrot, and Robert Weissman
Global Trade Issues
- Anti-Capitalist Convergence - A call for everyone opposed to capitalist globalization to join forces on the streets of D.C
- ZNet's Global Economics Subsite - an in depth and diverse collection of articles, links, etc.
- War on Want/Globalization - Looks at Globalization from the perspective of unions and organized labor.
- Global Exchange-- a human rights organization dedicated to promoting environmental, political, and social justice around the world.
- Focus On the South - is an excellent web site analyzing trade from a third world perspective
- Jubilee 2000 -- an effective organization fighting for debt relief for third world countries.
- Sweatshop Watch -- committed to eliminating sweatshop conditions in the global garment industry.
- No Logo - Mostly writings by Naomi Klein on capitalist globalization. Also contains writings by others on growing anti-capitalist movements.
General Economic Research
- Economic Policy Institute -- A motherload of reliable left-liberal reports. Great for wage, poverty and inequality research.
- Center for Economics and Policy Research -- This excellent website provides an enormous amount of research and analysis of current economic issues.
- Institute For Research on Poverty -- Answers some common questions on poverty.
- Inequality.org -- Facts, figures, essays, photos...the gamut on inequality in the U.S.
- United for a Fair Economy -- An excellent organization providing information and original research on poverty, taxes, wealth and income distribution.
- Economic Security Project -- Links and information to help combat poverty, unemployment, inequality, greed and economic insecurity.
- Citizens for Tax Justice -- Analysis of various tax proposals and laws, with a nice left-of-center spin.
- Union of Radical Political Economists - URPE presents a continuing critique of the capitalist system and all forms of exploitation and oppression while helping to construct a progressive social policy and create socialist alternatives.
- Corporate Accountability Project -- Good resource for corporate welfare information and general corporate "dirt."
- Corporation Watch -- Probably the best general site for up to date information on corporate misdeeds.
- Ending Corporate Governance -- Learn about corporate charters and the growing efforts to revoke and reform them.
- Executive Pay Watch -- Learn about the latest executive pay hikes, and how litle you are worth in comparison.
- Dollars and Sense -- One of the best magazines available for clearly written articles on the economy from a progressive perspective.
- Left Business Observer -- Plenty of stats and reports on the economy. Sometimes quite feisty.
- Industrial Worker -- The IWW's online magazine...
- Multinational Monitor - excellent examination of corporate malfeasance.
- Census Bureau -- Statistics on all sorts of economic issues. Very useful and interesting.
- Department of Labor -- another decent source for official facts and figures.
- Leading Economic Indicators -- A searchable database of major economic figures, published monthly for the Joint Economic Committee, by the Council of Economic Advisers.
Some ZNet Economics Articles of particular interest
By Noam Chomsky
- Liberating the Mind from Orthodoxies
- Control of Our lives
- A Corporate Watch interview
- Gray Matters interview
- The Meaning Of Seattle
- Market Democracy in a Neoliberal Order Part 1
- Market Democracy in a Neoliberal Order Part 2
- Expanding the Floor of the Cage
- Expanding the Floor of the Cage, Part 2
- Expanding the Floor of the Cage, Part 3
- The Passion for Free Markets
- Rollback I - IV and Notes
- Rollback- Part IV
- Rollback- Part III
- Rollback- Part II
- Rollback- Part I
- Mandate for Change
- Free Market Rhetoric
- The Clinton Vision
- Clinton Vision Update
By Michael Albert
- The Movement against neoliberal globalization: From Seattle to Porto Alegre
- Looking Back Moving Forward
- Seize the Day
- Natural Capitalism?
- Back to Class
- Markets Uber Alles?
- Nobel Nuttiness
- Nobels and Us
- Dear Robert
- Rhetoric Versus Reality
- Participatory Economics Interview
- Participatory Economics
- The Left and Markets
- Buying Dreams
- Earth and Taxes
- Deficit and Debt?!
- Convert To What?
By Robin Hahnel
- China and The WTO
- Globalization and its Discontents
- Fighting Globalization
- Hahnel: Imperialism, Human Rights, and Protectionism
- Play it again Sam
- Houston We Have A Problem
- Speaking Truth To Power: Speaking Truth To ourselves
- Democratic Planners and Market Socialists: Can We be friends for Now?
By Edward Herman
- Globalization and instability: The case of Columbia
- Questioning Henwood on Globalization
- Corporate Sovereignty and Junk Science
- The Permanent interests budget
- The Clinton Legacy
- The Economics of the Rich
- The Balanced Budget Ploy
- Immiserating Growth, The First World
- War Criminals, Economics Division
- The Higher Irresponsibility (Of Business)
- Low Intensity Class War
- Privileged Dependency and Waste
By Holly Sklar
- CEO Gravy Train keeps on Rolling
- Booming Economic Inequality, Falling Voter Turnout
- Brother Can you Spare a Billion?
- LetThem Eat Cake
- For CEOs Minimum Wage in the Billions
- Boom Times for Billionaires
- Imagine a Country
- Streets of Hope
- Minimum Wage and Congressional Pay
- Economics for Everyone
- The Snake Oil of Scapegoating
By David Peterson
- Let Them Burn Garbage
- Militant Capitalism
- The New Architecture
- Atlas Shrugged
- The Relevant Distinction
- Doing Things Right
- Hook Line and Stinker
- Little Dutch Boys
By Jeremy Brecher
- The Road From Seattle
- American Labor on the Eve of the Millenium
- A New Labor Movement in the Shell of the Old
- A New Labor Movement Part II
By James Petras
By Walden Bello
- Developing states resist calls for new trade talks
- From Melbourne to prague: The Struggle for a deglobalized world.
- The World Bank & The IMF
- Bello: WTO Reform Isn't the Agenda
- Bello: Unctad Strategy
By Naomi Klein
- The really tough question in Buenos Aires
- They call us violent agitators
- Snapshot Italy Something Beautiful may be happening
- How To Confront Globalization
Various Writers and Interviews
Free Trade For Whom- Barsamian interviews Kristin Dawkins